The Movement for Good Governance (MGG) provides a point of convergence and promotes solidarity among the diverse reform initiatives around the country.
MGG focuses on elections as a major opportunity to exercise good governance and elect new leaders. To increase the electorate’s capabilities to chose their leaders, MGG supports voter education programs and conducts townhall meetings with candidates on key issues. MGG aims to shift away voters’ attention from personality contests to the qualifications of candidates and to intelligent discussions of issues. During townhall meetings, MGG promotes the use of its scorecard, a simple guide to evaluating candidates, based on three key leadership criteria: effectiveness, empowering, and ethical leadership.
Beginning in 2010, MGG conducted annual benchmarking and assessment of the Aquino Administration based standards or metrics that President Aquino himself set at the beginning of his term. MGG’s policy experts used a 10-point scorecard system to measure the administration’s performance is six key areas: Economy, Public Finance, Governance, Health, Environment, and Education. The yearly assessment served as the basis of MGG’s advocacy for policy reforms.
MGG will continue the annual benchmarking and assessment exercise under the Duterte Administration using the same criteria, beginning with President Duterte’s first year in office.
- Benchmarking and assessment of the Duterte Administration
- Conducted benchmarking and assessment of the Aquino Administration
- Advocated for policy reforms on Public Finance, Tax Policies, Government Budgeting, Health Care, Education, Environment, and, Electoral Reforms
- Held roundtable discussions on 2010 Development Agenda for Education, Health, Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction, Governance and Corruption, Protection of the Environment
- Developed a Election Scorecard for Voters to evaluate candidates based on key leadership criteria
- Advocated for use of a scorecard to evaluating candidates in 2010, 2013, and 2016
- Provided candidate information in 2010, 2013, and 2016
- Sponsored townhall meetings in 2010, 2013, and 2016
- Developed “Timbangan,” a program to widely educate voters to benchmark candidates on their background and platforms, in partnership with TV5 in 2010
- Provided a support system for diverse reform agents and their initiatives: